Sunday, September 27, 2015

mi mesita




A photograph of my humble workstation

Having a personal workspace is like having an intimate relationship with the space, because it is where I spent most of my time, and in my case, engrossed in drawing and writing, and sometimes, surfing.

Last two weeks, when my husband flew to Kuala Lumpur for an architecture seminar, I took the liberty of having our whole room to myself. So I started clearing our room, inside out. I have a strange preference - i prefer sitting on the floor than on the chair. Even if I am sitting on the chair, I have a habit folding my legs up to the chair. Do not ask me why, I think it is just a habit! So, to cater for my unique working position preference, we bought 2 furniture from Muji - Low table and Legless Chair sometime ago. Buying furniture can be very addictive as more often than not, you tend to have many cool imagination as you are choosing the item that you like and how you would like to place it in a room. So far we had added 4 items into our collection! We splurge on furnitures as gifts for each other mostly on our birthdays and any celebration. We thought this is the most practical way and also I am not a perfume or roses person :p I



Anyway, I did small adjustments and the room does seem more spacious after that. As much as I wish to remove the big tables that our landlord provided, I did not remove it due to some reasons (which was related to the contract), so i had very limited ways to play with my room - I could only rearrange and reorganize. No major painting or refurbishment or bulky furnitures. I would have to keep the wishful thinking of decorating our home for the future. Current room is only a shelter for rest, certainly not a place we could call home :(



. The muji low table was placed in front of the large table. dislike this arrangement so much but i could not find time to arrange it until last two weeks!



. I shifted our slim muji organizer to a new location, which was beside the small wardrobe cabinet provided by landlord, shifted the large table nearer to the bay window and tucked in my muji pine low table in between the large table and our bed. We removed the bed frame provided by our landlord as it the platform where our bed rest on was long broken before we moved in. The double bed provided had faulty spring. We got rid of the old bed frame and bed and bought a new IKEA bed and decided that we might as well rest our bed on the floor itself, instead of going through the hustle of buying new bed frame and then having problem when moving out again in future. We did have our bumpy road in renting rooms here. Nothing beats the comfort of having our own room back home which we admittedly took granted when we were young.

In any case, now that our room is now more spacious, I am able to practice some yoga stretch, spending some time alone on my knees and reconnect with the ground, enjoy some stillness and rediscover my senses. It felt quite a luxury to be able to recharge and regain some quietness this way in this bustling city.

Although it is not the ideal layout as I always dreamed of having my own artist studio and bedroom ( i love artist studios where magic happens and of course rustic bohemian bedrooms, or something with rugs or patchwork, which is down-to-earth and not overly luxurious), I love the new arrangement and was not ready to sleep after that because i was having poetry in motion. It felt like having a new fresh space for NOW.

The idea of having my own workspace/studio and a really warm and cozy bedroom will have to wait until we get our own place one day (we don't know when and where)! For now, we will have to be thankful with what we can afford and live with this first!

No comments:

Post a Comment